From the Gong to Europe, pro sprinter and hurdler @ABBTADD has been competing for 9 years – and we’re stoked for her that she was recently selected to #represent Australia at the World Uni Games in Italy. Here’s how our dream Swolemate got to where she is today.
WHAT DROVE YOU TO BE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE?
I watched Cathy Freeman win the 2000 Olympics and have had a dream of competing in the Olympics since the age of 8.
3 REASONS YOU LOVE TO COMPETE?
- I love the thrill of running fast.
- I love running against the best in the field.
- Sprinting is unpredictable; you never know what can happen, which has made me the most resilient and confident version of myself.
YOUR ‘NON-NEGOTIABLES’ BEFORE YOU TRAIN?
First up, I eat – you simply can’t function when your body isn’t fueled. [Then I take] a look at the session my coach has planned [before I] warm up and stretch…I always make sure I’ve recovered to a certain level, to prevent any injuries when I train.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?
[I’ll] wake up [and] make my bed, eat my breakfast, and [make sure to] hydrate…before heading to training.
I then enjoy a long black[,] and head off to Liam and Mel at Nowcryotheraphy who look after my recovery routine which consists of time in the sauna, cold freezes, and recovery boots.
I’ll [then] enjoy a MACROS meal for lunch before heading back to training (I train twice a day on most days). I coach my group of sprinters at the track, then head to the gym where I work and run classes.
Finally, I head home for a MACROS dinner, prehab, and always have a good stretch before bed.
WHICH MACROS MEAL PLAN ARE YOU ON?
I follow the Performance meal plans as I’m at a level where I look after my body well and I use food for fuel.
YOUR TOP 3 MACROS MEALS?
I’m loving the Peppercorn Steak[,] the Peri Peri Chicken & Vegetables[,] and the Tunisian Chilli Chicken.
AND YOUR ULTIMATE CHEAT MEAL?
Honestly, I’m not really one for a cheat meal. Don’t get me wrong – I have normal cravings like chocolate, but my diet is so well balanced I don’t feel the need to eat a “cheat meal”. When I am having cravings I don’t feel bad to eat that chocolate (in moderation of course!).
YOU COMPLEMENT YOUR TRAINING WITH PILATES. HOW HAS THIS BENEFITED YOU?
Pilates has so many benefits for me. It breaks up my training and it prevents me from injury. I have been working with my instructor Helen for about 5 years now and she has helped identify my underlying weaknesses. Pilates allows us to work on these specific areas that help the big picture of running faster.
WHO YOU LOOK UP TO AND WHY?
…It’d have to be my mum and dad. They are an incredible duo who forever support me through anything[, and the] 2 hardest working people I know. They both forever make sure my 2 brothers and I have everything we need. They are my rocks.
3 THINGS YOU SWEAR BY FOR ACHIEVING YOUR FULL POTENTIAL?
- Prehab – I have weaknesses just like anybody else, but to be a better athlete I must work on my them. Then of course my strength – improving my strength to be better than I was yesterday.
- Having fun – my journey has been nothing but interesting. I am a massive believer that I need to love what I’m doing in order to continue doing it.
- Being in a good mental space – surrounding myself with not only good people but like-minded people. My team is incredible and I wouldn’t be where I am without them; through the good and especially the bad.
Want pro diet + fitness tips, new menu reveals and exclusive discounts? Subscribe to our newsletter and join The MACROS Movement.